Monday, June 30, 2008

Smartie Pants

Ian just passed his first birthday and is a babbling, toddling ball of energy.  He stumbles around Amanda's house looking like a drunken sailor with a spoon in one hand and a cell phone in the other.  Since he has been walking, it seems that his energy level has gone up and he is back and forth from room to room pulling stuff out of drawers and boxes.  I am writing a quick entry to chronicle the development of "party tricks."
1. Clap hands (Dec. 2007?) - he has figured out that this is both a party trick AND a method for expressing excitement and approval.  He does it unprovoked when excited about something.
2. High five (Jan. 2008)
3. Bye-bye (Mar. 2008?)  - most recently he has put the words "bye-bye" to the hand waving and fly swatting that best describes this gesture.  It especially fun to watch him say "bye-bye" to random stranger in restaurants and to the cats when they move from room to room.
4. Blow kisses (Apr. 2008) - note: this is REALLY REALLY cute, especially because he makes the sound too.
5. "So Big" - (Jun. 2008) - sometimes its only one arm, but he gets the message across
6. "Where's your nose?" (Jul. 2008)  It turns out that he doesn't actually understand "your" or "my", so when I ask him where his nose is he points to my nose.  However, since I never actually taught him what a nose is, I am pretty impressed. 

If you have any good suggestions for new party tricks, feel free to leave a comment.    I am running out of cute gestures and don't want to have to go into my bank of rude ones!

No comments: